Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mind the Gap




Long ago when I was
small, you used to call me
beautiful.
And let me eat cookie dough and
spend all your money at
chuck e. cheese's.

You know of that place?


Where kids can be kids?


That's where I was a kid.
That's where I was your kid.


And somehow we started using orange juice instead of milk for cereal.
And I laughed at the strangeness. How cool.
And then things got more strange.
And I thought it was cool that
you were thousands of miles away.


And then you were
    here
and then you were

there



    here
there



    here
there



Where are we again?
This gap is cool.



But the distance created distance.

    And I'm over here

And you're over there.



And the middle is so far.

From both of us.


I can't stretch that far.
(And you won't.)


But do you still see me?
Can you hear my voice?
Did you see me grow?
Teach me how to ride a bike?

I taught myself how to ride a bike.
People say:
You never forget how to ride a bike.
But, they also say that
fathers

don't leave


    daughters.

And we both know that isn't true.



I forgot three times.
Every single time, 1, 2, 3 I taught myself.
And I was over here
And you were over there.



And it was still cool.



Not that long
ago, when I was
    ye tall

I was there.



And I was worried that all that time
you were there

that I was too strange, because
    I was here.

But they say: fathers love daughters.
And they are true.


    I cried.
I cried.

    I felt love.
I felt love.

    I felt loved.
I felt loved.


And it wasn't cool anymore.


Because I will always be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment